Founded by A.F. Krueger in 1941, KI began as Krueger Metal Products in Aurora, Illinois. One steel press and twenty-five employees created simple folding chairs from excess metal that Krueger obtained from the steel companies. The folding chairs were sold for $2.00 each (dealer price). In 1945, Krueger moved its headquarters to Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Through the next three decades, Krueger Metal Products continued to grow in size, both in employee numbers and folding chairs. In 1964, the Tupelo, Mississippi plant was established. By 1967, Krueger Metal Products was the world’s largest folding chair and table manufacturer.
A new Green Bay plant and corporate headquarters were built in 1972. By the end of the 70’s, Krueger Metal had entered the contract furniture market. In 1983, the company became Krueger, Inc. and in 1984 the Manitowoc, Wisconsin plant was established. In 1986, the international division was established. Krueger, Inc. became the first and only 100 percent employee owned furniture manufacturer in 1987. Combining the commercial and contract furniture divisions, Krueger, Inc. becoming Krueger International and establishing itself as KI, in 1988. In addition, Pallas Textiles was established as a wholly owned subsidiary.
In 1992, the Pembroke, Ontario plant opened and in 1994, KI became the first 100 percent ISO 9000 certified furniture manufacturer. By 1998, KI-High Point and Spacesaver were acquired and the Bonduel, Wisconsin and Pontotoc, Mississippi plants were established.
Currently, KI ranks as the sixth largest contract furniture manufacturer in the industry. Employing nearly 3000 and operating 10 manufacturing facilities (Green Bay, Manitowoc, Bonduel and Fort Atkinson, WI; Tupelo and Pontotoc MS; High Point, NC; and Pembroke, Ontario). KI, a trusted market resource, provides product solutions for a variety of environments including education, healthcare, government and corporate interiors.